For a complete Bible study software package with over one million cross-references combined, try SwordSearcher. SwordSearcher has tens of thousands of topical and encyclopedic entries all linked to scripture, fully searchable and indexed by both topic and verse reference, and includes Torrey's Topical Textbook.
Also, try Daily Bible and Prayer to keep track of your prayer list, do a daily devotional from C. H. Spurgeon's Faith Checkbook, and read the Bible through in a year.
- An abomination unto God. Proverbs 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:Proverbs 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
- Forbidden. Exodus 23:1 Thou shalt not raise a false report: put not thine hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness.Ephesians 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:James 4:11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.
- Whispering. Romans 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,2 Corinthians 12:20 For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:
- Backbiting. Romans 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,2 Corinthians 12:20 For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:
- Evil surmising. 1 Timothy 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
- Tale-bearing. Leviticus 19:16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD.
- Babbling. Ecclesiastes 10:11 Surely the serpent will bite without enchantment; and a babbler is no better.
- Tattling. 1 Timothy 5:13 And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.
- Evil speaking. Psalms 41:5 Mine enemies speak evil of me, When shall he die, and his name perish?Psalms 109:20 Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the LORD, and of them that speak evil against my soul.
- Defaming. Jeremiah 20:10 For I heard the defaming of many, fear on every side. Report, say they, and we will report it. All my familiars watched for my halting, saying, Peradventure he will be enticed, and we shall prevail against him, and we shall take our revenge on him.1 Corinthians 4:13 Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.
- Bearing false witness. Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.Deuteronomy 5:20 Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour.Luke 3:14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.
- Judging uncharitably. James 4:11-12 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?
- Raising false reports. Exodus 23:1 Thou shalt not raise a false report: put not thine hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness.
- Repeating matters. Proverbs 17:9 He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.
- Is a deceitful work. Psalms 52:2 Thy tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully.
- Comes from the evil heart. Matthew 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
- Often arises from hatred. Psalms 41:7 All that hate me whisper together against me: against me do they devise my hurt.Psalms 109:3 They compassed me about also with words of hatred; and fought against me without a cause.
- Idleness leads to. 1 Timothy 5:13 And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.
- The wicked addicted to. Psalms 50:20 Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother's son.Jeremiah 6:28 They are all grievous revolters, walking with slanders: they are brass and iron; they are all corrupters.Jeremiah 9:4 Take ye heed every one of his neighbour, and trust ye not in any brother: for every brother will utterly supplant, and every neighbour will walk with slanders.
- Hypocrites addicted to. Proverbs 11:9 An hypocrite with his mouth destroyeth his neighbour: but through knowledge shall the just be delivered.
- A characteristic of the devil. Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
- The wicked love. Psalms 52:4 Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue.
- They who indulge in, are fools. Proverbs 10:18 He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.
- They who indulge in, not to be trusted. Jeremiah 9:4 Take ye heed every one of his neighbour, and trust ye not in any brother: for every brother will utterly supplant, and every neighbour will walk with slanders.
- Women warned against. Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
- Minister's wives should avoid. 1 Timothy 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
- Christ was exposed to. Psalms 35:11 False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not.Matthew 26:60 But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses,
- Rulers exposed to. 2 Peter 2:10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.Jude 1:8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
- Ministers exposed to. Romans 3:8 And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just.2 Corinthians 6:8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;
- The nearest relations exposed to. Psalms 50:20 Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother's son.
- Saints exposed to. Psalms 38:12 They also that seek after my life lay snares for me: and they that seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and imagine deceits all the day long.Psalms 109:2 For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me: they have spoken against me with a lying tongue.1 Peter 4:4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:
- Should keep their tongue from. Psalms 34:13 Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.1 Peter 3:10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:
- Should lay aside. Ephesians 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:1 Peter 2:1 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
- Should be warned against. Titus 3:1-2 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.
- Should give no occasion for. 1 Peter 2:12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.1 Peter 3:16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
- Should return good for. 1 Corinthians 4:13 Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.
- Blessed in enduring. Matthew 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
- Characterized as avoiding. Psalms 15:1 LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?Psalms 15:3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
- Should not be listened to. 1 Samuel 24:9 And David said to Saul, Wherefore hearest thou men's words, saying, Behold, David seeketh thy hurt?
- Should be discountenanced with anger. Proverbs 25:23 The north wind driveth away rain: so doth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue.
- EFFECTS OF;
- Separating friends. Proverbs 16:28 A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.Proverbs 17:9 He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.
- Deadly wounds. Proverbs 18:8 The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.Proverbs 26:22 The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.
- Strife. Proverbs 26:20 Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.
- Discord among brethren. Proverbs 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
- Murder. Psalms 31:13 For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side: while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life.Ezekiel 22:9 In thee are men that carry tales to shed blood: and in thee they eat upon the mountains: in the midst of thee they commit lewdness.
- The tongue of, is a scourge. Job 5:21 Thou shalt be hid from the scourge of the tongue: neither shalt thou be afraid of destruction when it cometh.
- Is venomous. Psalms 140:3 They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison is under their lips. Selah.Ecclesiastes 10:11 Surely the serpent will bite without enchantment; and a babbler is no better.
- Is destructive. Proverbs 11:9 An hypocrite with his mouth destroyeth his neighbour: but through knowledge shall the just be delivered.
- End of, is mischievous madness. Ecclesiastes 10:13 The beginning of the words of his mouth is foolishness: and the end of his talk is mischievous madness.
- Men shall give account for. Matthew 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
- Punishment for. Deuteronomy 19:16-21 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong; Then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the LORD, before the priests and the judges, which shall be in those days; And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother; Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you. And those which remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil among you. ...Psalms 101:5 Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.
- Illustrated. Proverbs 12:18 There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.Proverbs 25:18 A man that beareth false witness against his neighbour is a maul, and a sword, and a sharp arrow.
Laban's Sons,Genesis 31:1 And he heard the words of Laban's sons, saying, Jacob hath taken away all that was our father's; and of that which was our father's hath he gotten all this glory.
Doeg,1 Samuel 22:9-11 Then answered Doeg the Edomite, which was set over the servants of Saul, and said, I saw the son of Jesse coming to Nob, to Ahimelech the son of Ahitub. And he enquired of the LORD for him, and gave him victuals, and gave him the sword of Goliath the Philistine. Then the king sent to call Ahimelech the priest, the son of Ahitub, and all his father's house, the priests that were in Nob: and they came all of them to the king.
Princes of Ammon,2 Samuel 10:3 And the princes of the children of Ammon said unto Hanun their lord, Thinkest thou that David doth honour thy father, that he hath sent comforters unto thee? hath not David rather sent his servants unto thee, to search the city, and to spy it out, and to overthrow it?
Ziba,2 Samuel 16:3 And the king said, And where is thy master's son? And Ziba said unto the king, Behold, he abideth at Jerusalem: for he said, To day shall the house of Israel restore me the kingdom of my father.
Children of Belial,1 Kings 21:13 And there came in two men, children of Belial, and sat before him: and the men of Belial witnessed against him, even against Naboth, in the presence of the people, saying, Naboth did blaspheme God and the king. Then they carried him forth out of the city, and stoned him with stones, that he died.
Enemies of the Jews,Ezra 4:7-16 And in the days of Artaxerxes wrote Bishlam, Mithredath, Tabeel, and the rest of their companions, unto Artaxerxes king of Persia; and the writing of the letter was written in the Syrian tongue, and interpreted in the Syrian tongue. Rehum the chancellor and Shimshai the scribe wrote a letter against Jerusalem to Artaxerxes the king in this sort: Then wrote Rehum the chancellor, and Shimshai the scribe, and the rest of their companions; the Dinaites, the Apharsathchites, the Tarpelites, the Apharsites, the Archevites, the Babylonians, the Susanchites, the Dehavites, and the Elamites, And the rest of the nations whom the great and noble Asnappar brought over, and set in the cities of Samaria, and the rest that are on this side the river, and at such a time. This is the copy of the letter that they sent unto him, even unto Artaxerxes the king; Thy servants the men on this side the river, and at such a time. ...
Gashmu,Nehemiah 6:6 Wherein was written, It is reported among the heathen, and Gashmu saith it, that thou and the Jews think to rebel: for which cause thou buildest the wall, that thou mayest be their king, according to these words.
Haman,Esther 3:8 And Haman said unto king Ahasuerus, There is a certain people scattered abroad and dispersed among the people in all the provinces of thy kingdom; and their laws are diverse from all people; neither keep they the king's laws: therefore it is not for the king's profit to suffer them.
David's enemies,Psalms 31:13 For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side: while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life.
Jeremiah's enemies,Jeremiah 38:4 Therefore the princes said unto the king, We beseech thee, let this man be put to death: for thus he weakeneth the hands of the men of war that remain in this city, and the hands of all the people, in speaking such words unto them: for this man seeketh not the welfare of this people, but the hurt.
Jews,Matthew 11:18-19 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil. The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.
Witnesses against Christ,Matthew 26:59-61 Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death; But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses, And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.
Priests,Mark 15:3 And the chief priests accused him of many things: but he answered nothing.
Enemies of Stephen,Acts 6:11 Then they suborned men, which said, We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses, and against God.
Enemies of Paul, &c.Acts 17:7 Whom Jason hath received: and these all do contrary to the decrees of Caesar, saying that there is another king, one Jesus.
Tertullus,Acts 24:2 And when he was called forth, Tertullus began to accuse him, saying, Seeing that by thee we enjoy great quietness, and that very worthy deeds are done unto this nation by thy providence,Acts 24:5 For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes: